Hi, I'm Clemens
I'm a freelance software engineer based in Belluno, Italy. Previously, I worked at Noom, Microsoft and Amazon and was the founding engineer of Ascoderu, a tech-for-good non-profit.
I have experience in product engineering and consulting settings. I've worked on all levels of the stack, including frontend, backend, devops and machine learning. I've led teams, designed system architectures, mentored junior engineers and shipped a whole lot of code.
Here are some keywords of technologies I've used, in no particular order:
You can find out more about my professional background on LinkedIn. You can view some of my projects and open source contributions on Github.
Technical writing & public speaking
I've published several articles, including:
- Running Parallel Apache Spark Notebook Workloads On Azure Databricks
- Using the ambassador pattern for reliable pipes-and-filters text processing
- Using Otsu’s method to generate data for training of deep learning image segmentation models
- Leveraging microservices for relationship-based text exploration
- Continuous Delivery for Service Fabric via Github, Travis CI and Docker Compose
- Deploying a Linux Python web application to Service Fabric via Docker Compose
- Comparing Image-Classification Systems: Custom Vision Service vs. Inception
- Permissively-Licensed Named Entity Recognition on the JVM
- Building a Custom Spark Connector for Near Real-Time Speech-to-Text Transcription
- Learning to Interpret and Describe Abstract Scenes
I read and review software-related books. I also make craft cocktails and implement boardgames.
I love exploring new places and have lived in
- South Africa
- the United States
I'm married to the amazing Laura Barluzzi.